DOCTORAL (PHD) DEGREE PROGRAMME
1. The applicant should possess:
(a) a Master Degree (by coursework) in a relevant field with a minimum grade average of B, or
(b) a Master Degree by research in a relevant field.
2. Admission into the programme is subjected to any other requirement specified by the Faculty/Institute.
3. An applicant from a local public university who is in the final semester of his masters study programme may be considered for provisional admission provided that his latest CGPA or its equivalent academic result satisfies the graduate programme admission requirements.
MASTERS DEGREE PROGRAMME
1. The applicant should possess a Bachelor’s degree (with honours) in a relevant field with a minimum CGPA of 3.000, or
2. The applicant who has insufficient academic qualification can be admitted into the programme subjected to any other requirement specified by the Faculty/Institute.
3. An applicant from a local public university who is in the final semester of his undergraduate study programme may be considered for provisional admission provided that his latest CGPA or its equivalent academic result satisfies the graduate programme admission requirements.
CONVERSION FROM MASTER'S TO PhD DEGREE PROGRAMME
- Starting September 2015 intake, Universiti Putra Malaysia no longer offer PhD Degree Programme for First Class Bachelor graduates. However, a student may apply for conversion from a Masters by Research to a PhD Degree programme.
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree of CGPA of at least 3.67 may apply to enrol in a UPM’s Master’s (by research) in all fields of study from the September 2015 semester onwards. Conversion can be done between the 2nd and 4th semesters (within the first two year) of study, subject to the criteria detailed in UPM Graduate Studies Rule 28 (page 19).
Rule 28. Conversion from Masters to PhD Degree Programme
A student may apply for conversion from a Masters by Research to a PhD degree programme. If the application is successful, the student is required to comply with all requirements for a PhD degree including Rules 24 (i) and 50.
An independent committee shall be appointed by the Faculty/Institute/School to evaluate the application for conversion and this committee shall make its recommendations to the Dean through the Faculty/Institute/School for approval by the University Graduate Studies Committee or its equivalent, and endorsement by the Senate. The following rules apply.
The student must:
- have completed at least two (2) semesters or one (1) year but not more than four (4) semesters or two (2) years of the Masters degree programme; (Senate 536.06)
- have completed the coursework requirements of the Faculty/Institute and obtained a minimum CGPA of 3.67 (if applicable).
- have published or show proof of acceptance of an article in a refereed journal or its equivalent (e.g. book chapter) based on research done during candidacy; (Senate 536.06)
- submit an extended research proposal that meets the scope of a PhD degree; and
- have passed the conversion examination.
FOR FURTHER ENQUIRIES, PLEASE CONTACT:
Mrs. Rahmawati Umar
School of Graduate Studies
Universiti Putra Malaysia
43400 Serdang, Selangor
Tel: +603-8946 4218 / 4223 / 4228
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/sgsupm
Updated:: 12/10/2017 [azimin]